Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Childhood Memory About School before age of 8

My earliest childhood memory I can recall from school would be when I was about 6 0r 7 years of age.I went to a school called South Park Elementary with my 2 favorite cousins. We would love to get up and get ready for school. Before we left out the house our grandfather would give us 50 cents a piece. Back then 50 cents took you a long way! Once we arrived at school we had a little time to play before the bell would ring. When the first bell would ring that was for everyone to freeze. When the second bell would ring we were to go to line up in our area for class. I remember once everyone lined up and the principle had it settled we would be prompt to begin saying the "Pledge of Allegiance." I do believe at that age the most fun I remember about school was recess! Being able to play outside with my friends; playing dodge ball, jump rope, etc. The subject i enjoyed most was English. I would love when it was time to read, or do spelling test. Actually, it is still a subject I favor! I remember school being a time to learn and have fun with your friends, I was always excited about going to school.

4 comments:

  1. Hi! Chonte I can recall some of those days but I used too buy 5 center snickers and big sticks on the way home from school yes you could buy alot back in the day, now you can't even buy a bag of of chips or candy for under a dollar. you can't even stop after school or before schooo to get anything now day something may happen to you kids now days. Back in the 70s was good!

    ShonnaF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I remember way back then. My mother use to stop at the store everyday after school and buy my brother and I "penny candies" which was only 1 cent. I belive in those days, my favorite section of the class was when it was time to read because enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chonte I remember those days also. My mom would give me a dollar every day and before I got to the bus stop I would go to the store. The lady who owned the store was Mrs. Adams she was so nice. I would buy as much candy as I could with my dollar since most of the candy was a penny or a nickel. Then I would go to school and sell it for more because the kids at school wasn't able to go to the store before school that, is how I earned my money for the weekend to go to the movies. I was so sad when Mrs. Adams closed the store down.

    ReplyDelete